What’s the right Stun Gun for you
Okay, there you are, ready to buy a self defence product and now that you’re looking at the various makes models and well, you’re stumped on which one to buy.
Heck, perhaps you don’t even really understand what a stun gun or taser gun is or what’s the difference between them. Allow me to explain.
When I say stun gun, I mean a ‘traditional stun gun’ that many of you may have seen on tv or in the movies. This is a handheld device that has outward facing prongs on the end of the device that when triggered emits a high voltage, visible arc of electricity. The voltage of electricity ‘stuns’ the muscles of the body and interrupts the neurological impulses that control muscle movement. In short the body’s neuromuscular system is shut down temporarily.
A Taser gun is a device that while similar to the traditional stun gun by emitting an electrical charge to the body and shutting down the muscle control it divers in that it actually fires two small probes that are attached to insulated conductive wires. The electricity then pulses along the wires and into the body when you pull the trigger. When you activate the trigger with the probes already attached to the body, then the taser sends additional pulses of electricity. When the trigger is deactivated the electrical pulses a baits.
Okay, now that we have a refresher on what the difference- the dilemma still remains — how do you know which one to buy.
There’s not only a lot to choose from in this area, but so many of the items are so similar why is one a better choice than any other.
For instance if you’re looking at a traditional stun gun there are well over 20 to 30 different products and types. The taser gun’s choices are much more limited with the personal protection model called Taser C2 to the Advanced Taser M18 or M18L. This is the civilian answer to the tactical police model Taser M26.
So there’s really something for everybody when it comes to Buy this guns. So what do I say to somebody when they ask me what’s the best self defense weapon for them?
I ask them these questions:
- How important is self defense or self protection to you?
- What do you need it for?
- How much are you willing to spend to achieve that level of protection?
- How secure do you want to be?
Now, when I first ask these questions a lot of people think I’m being flippant with them. But the truth is I’m not and if you really answer these questions — because these are the only ones that really bring you to a solution — you will have your answer. Nobody but you can answer it for you. I and others can show you the options or where to buy Cheap but only can decide what is the right product for you.
Don’t agree? Let’s look further into these questions shall we?
- How important is self defense or self protection to you? This is important, if you are in a fairly safe environment most of the time and it’s always been that way and you don’t see that changing then this is much different from somebody that is perhaps a female working late at night alone that must walk to their place of work to a dimly lit parking garage in a questionable part of town. I’d say then this becomes a very telling question.
- What do you need it for? Is it to feel safe while walking to that parking garage to your car in the dead of night. Perhaps you are escorting your child to the inner city daily for school or taking hikes with your loved ones through the park.
- How much are you willing to spend? Again, depending on the answer to number one and two this will become self evident. The mother pushing the baby stroller through a very safe park in the middle of day with lots of people around is going to spend differently than the nurse working nights in rough part of town that must walk alone to get to her car or the bus.
- How secure to you want to be? All I can usually say about this is if you were going bear hunting would you rather choose to go with a.22 pistol or a the biggest caliber gun that is designed for bringing down the biggest bear on the planet? I’d rather feel very very secure. But again, questions before this will usually bring about the answer here.
Stun guns pump out from 100,000 volts up to almost 1 million. Taser guns at around 50,000 volts. The look and feel of these products all differ. Many might fit your lifestyle, how you want to carry this weapon, your comfort with it, etc. The best thing to do is answer the 4 questions and then take a look at the options and make a decision based upon all these factors.
Why would you choose!
There are lots of reasons why you may want to get it!
These days if an older woman tries to protect herself from a would be rapist who has come into her house and she is forced to shoot him… she can be charged and sent to prison! Even if he goes clear into her bedroom.
Just for trying to protect herself.
Did you know that it is possible that the perpetrator (thief, rapist) can sue if he survives. And… if that the perpetrator dies, his family can legally sue her.
It’s hard to believe – but the way our laws are now about firearms, in either case the wounded VICTIM could lose and be locked up for many years. That’s why a rapidly growing number of private citizens have decided to us non lethal self defence products instead. These are extremely effective interventions — and they can stop a criminal without killing him!
We’re talking about TASERs, stun guns, pepper spray, and mace. In most States, these kinds of products can be used by you as a private citizen and you do not need to obtain a license to carry and/or use them. There are certain restrictions in eight states, several large cities, schools, airports, hospitals, etc. You can find the list on our website of the states that prohibit certain products. The point is… non-lethal self defense products are now permitted in most places of the United States. These guns are predominantly used for their effectiveness. There are other factors that make owning a stun gun a great idea.
1. These guns are available in a large range of models and sizes. Even the smaller ones can be a huge bolt from the blue to a would-be attacker! One smaller model called the RUNT is capable of delivering over one million volts of zapping power — and it is actually smaller than one pack of cigarettes.
2. What’s even more amazing is that some stun guns are now comparatively inexpensive – depending on what model you choose. And that means that available in an incredibly broad price range. This means that nearly everyone can get a stun gun and along with it obtain a peace of mind that money cannot buy!
3. The real astonishment is the serious stopping power of a stun gun. I mean, one second will have them backing away and 5 seconds will have them on the ground crying.
4. These are available in an variety of shapes, colours, and sizes. While most people buy the standard black model, there are also models obtainable in silver, red, camouflage, and animal prints (no less)! These days, your personal safety may also be fashionable! Some are disguised to look like cell phones, flashlights, and lipstick tubes.
5. When you decide to choose one of these non lethal self-defence products, you will find that your fear fear of criminals is alleviated. PLUS, you get rid of any potential of legal reprisals (which has happened ever too often when firearms are used in self defence). Our American legal-system will not accuse you of protecting yourself and your family with non lethal products. You can protect the protect the victims of violent crime.
It’s always good to get hidden cameras also — just to warn you to get ready. So… what do you want to do next? I hope that you have decided to protect yourself and your family while at the same time minimizing the likelihood of legal action against you. Protect yourself, your loved ones, your belongings, and your property. Come see us at Home-defender for all the best help and advice for what to pick for what you need.
How Dangerous is the Average Stun Gun Volt?
Unfortunately the only time we typically hear anything about these guns is when there has been serious injuries or even death that is caused by the stun gun volt. Factually, most stun guns range from 80,000 volts to 300,000 volts with maximum voltage being 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 – even then the amperes associated with these high volt stun guns makes it nearly impossible to step someone’s heart and cause death.
There are of course as with everything – exceptions – since most stun guns run off batteries it’s pretty simple to determine that they’re relatively safe – the problem is that what you’re seldom told about the fatalities or serious injuries that accompany stun guns is that the victim has a physical problem such as an enlarged heart or they have a history of drug/alcohol abuse. It is possible if you’re repeatedly hit with a stun gun volt over a period of five seconds to sixty seconds that serious injury and death can occur.
If a person caring for a child decides to try to discipline the child but using the sun gun volt then chances are high that the child might die – this is flat out child abuse – unfortunately there have also been cases when children in fact play with an adults stun gun and the repeated application of the stun gun volt can also cause death. Accidental discharge, self administration of stun gun volt and other foolish experimentation can also lead to death.
If your states laws allow you to own a stun gun, before you start experimenting with it you should be properly trained or carefully read the manufacturers information that accompanies the stun gun. Stun gun volt levels are not something that should create fear – the stun gun (and TASER) are generally very safe and cause far fewer deaths than the lives that they save.
Type of Stun Guns::
Streetwise Mini Stun Gun
Size counts – maybe. In this case, the petite package of the Streetwise Mini Stun Gun doesn’t look like it matches up with the 1,000,000 volts it can deliver. This baby is the World’s Smallest Stun Gun and is also the World’s Most Powerful Stun Gun – all in a petite 3 ¼” x 2″ x ¾” case. It is so small that it could fit inside a cigarette packet!
Touching an attacker for about three to five seconds is enough to deliver enough voltage to cause him (or her) to lose balance and muscle control. The resulting disorientation and confusion effectively interfere with voluntary motion. The effects last for about five to ten minutes, providing enough time for you to run for safety.
The heavy duty leather holster that comes with this small stun gun fits tidily on a belt, keeping it handy in case it’s needed. It can also fit nicely inside a woman’s handbag without displacing other essentials. You don’t need to worry about having the Small Fry zap you when reaching for other items. There is a safety button on the side which must be pressed before pressure on the trigger activates the weapon.
In the past, it took several 9-volt batteries to even begin to approach this kind of stopping power. In the Mini Stun Gun the incredible amount of voltage is provided by three 3-volt Lithium batteries. You can either purchase them with the mini stun gun or get them for about $14 at your local superstore. An even more attractive option, added by request, is to get a rechargeable unit and skip the replacement battery headaches. The advances in today’s rechargeable batteries make them a reliable and economical option.
When considering this model, remember that higher voltage means that immobilization happens more rapidly and that current can pass through more layers of clothing. Since it is the highest voltage stun gun, you are carrying the best available non-lethal stopping power on the world market. The manufacturer believes so much in the quality of this product that it provides a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Once again, the manufacturer listened to suggestions and made modifications to its already popular mini stun gun. Now, an unexpected feature on this Streetwise Mini Stun Gun is the 6 LED lights, making this a super bright illuminator. Flashlights are always a good idea, especially when traveling between any building and your vehicle after dark. The benefit is seriously enhanced by the fact that if you are using the flashlight, the stun gun feature is instantly available, should it be needed.
Reliable, safe and easy to use, the Streetwise Mini Stun Gun provides discreet, superior protection for the most discriminating and economically-minded clients.
Flashlight Taser Stun Gun
Flashlight – light source
Stun Gun – when held against the skin of an attacker from 2-5 seconds disrupts the nervous system and disorients the individual permitting you to get out of the situation and run like the wind. Stun guns come in a variety of styles and strengths. The higher the voltage the less time it has to be applied to the skin for the full effects to be felt by the attacker. The power on most stun guns available ranges from 200,000 volts up to 1 million volts. Stun guns come in all shapes and sizes. Some look like a cell phone, a baton, a flashlight, a small hand held rectangle, and some very intimidating looking heavy-duty items with big prongs sticking out of the end!
Taser – With a Taser you can stop an attacker before he even gets close enough to grab you. The range of a Taser that the public can purchase is about 15′ to 20′. Two small barbs are shot out of a compressed air cartridge and when they make contact with an attacker, even through their clothing, they deliver a jarring bolt of voltage that incapacitates the attacker almost instantly. The recommended way to use the Taser is to fire at the attacker and then run to safety.
With all these functions, you are assured of maximum protection!
Are Tasers Legal In My State?
Some days ago I did a few Google searches to find out my state’s laws on buying and carrying a Taser. After getting a lot of random, unhelpful websites, I found my answer at, where else, Taser.com. A quick rundown of where it is currently ILLEGAL to carry a Taser: District of Columbia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York (does anyone else find that odd?), Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. Also, in the cities of Annapolis, Baltimore, Chicago, and Philadelphia (again, what!?) prohibit the carrying of a Taser, but it is legal elsewhere in the states wherein those cities are located. Connecticut and Illinois don’t prohibit it, but restrictions do exist. If your state is not listed, it is currently legal for persons over the age of 18 to purchase a Taser or stun gun, but again, there are restrictions on who can use it. Interestingly, in some states minors are not prohibited from using a Taser or stun device, if supervised by an adult. I guess that would come in handy if a child was in a dangerous situation and the adult in possession of the Taser was not capable of using it for whatever reason.
Stun Guns Laws
Also, keep in mind that many states have restrictions on where you can carry a Taser (similar to firearms), such as schools, churches, some public places, etc. These are common sense scenarios, but then again it seems to be an increasingly common occurrence that these are also where the violence is happening, so hopefully the laws will keep up with the news.
Taser International’s website did not go into detail on individual state statute, so To find out more details on state laws and penalties associated with misuse, visit
In spite of the fact that stun guns are typically considered to be a safe form of defence and are typically marketed as safe for home and personal protection, there are laws in various states, cities and counties that limit the ability to own or possess a stun gun.
Stun gun laws were created because of the potential abuse of power – causing harm, deliberately inflicting pain and even torturing someone. Because of this it has become necessary (and even practical) to put in place stun gun laws.
The states that currently ban stun guns are:
* New Jersey
* New York
* Rhode Island
There are other municipalities that severely restrict not just the use of stun guns by the possession of stun guns – and it’s very important that you understand stun gun laws. Because of the potential for the abuse of a weapon, most stun gun laws are designed to limit ownership and to prevent people from carrying them around in public. Sadly, some of these laws were put into place because of high profile cases involving parents and caregivers abusing children – too often this results in life altering injury or even death.
Since the stun gun laws dictate not only the transfer and use of stun guns but also the purchase and sale of stun guns, if you live in a city or a state where stun gun laws state you cannot own one you won’t be able to purchase one online.
Wholesale Stun Guns
There are many places online to purchase in bulk. I would want to work with a company that gets quality stun guns with great support. I think that the ZAP brand Stun Guns are some of the meanest non lethal gun son the market.
Zap Stun Guns has the Double Trouble Stun gun with 1.2 million volts and the Blast Knuckles with 950,000 volts of dropping power. Can you even imagine 1,200,000 volts of power hitting you. That will knock you senseless!
Some Personal Safety Tips
- Stay alert. Keep your mind on your surroundings, as well as who is in front of you and who is behind you.
- Walk purposefully, stand tall, and make eye contact with people around you.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, leave.
- While driving, keep your car in good repair with the gas tank at least half full.
- Park in well-lit areas and always lock your doors.
- Put valuables out of sight or in the trunk.
- Drive with the doors locked and the windows up.
- Check the floorboards and front and rear seats before getting in your car.
- In an elevator, stand near the controls. If someone suspicious enters, get off the elevator.
- At home, don’t give personal information over the telephone to people you don’t know.
- Install a peephole in your front door, and don’t open the door to anyone you don’t know. Verify the identity of service people before allowing them in.